Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole–creamy mild curry-flavored rice with chunks of tender chicken, florets of broccoli and lots of cheddar. A family favorite casserole recipe perfect for any weeknight.
Get the INSTANT POT version of the recipe here
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole
I had a reader, Kelsey, reach out to me. She asked if I could come up with an easier version of her favorite Chicken Curry Casserole from 100 Days of Real Food. I looked at the recipe and realized it was a healthier version of one of my favorite childhood casseroles.
The casserole has brown rice, chicken, curry powder, broccoli, sour cream and cheddar. The only problem with the original casserole is that it calls for cooked rice and cooked chicken and steamed broccoli. So it’s a lot of prep and steps. I decided to cut down on all the steps by using my slow cooker and just cook it all at the same time. I think you’ll appreciate my method. Sure it’s not the “baked in the oven” casserole you’re used to but it’s still really tasty.
The rice is creamy, almost like risotto. You won’t even be able to tell that it is brown rice. The curry powder flavors the whole dish but doesn’t overpower it. The broccoli adds nutrition and can be as noticeable or non-noticeable as you decide you want it. If you’re a fan of broccoli casserole you’ll love this!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole I used my 3-quart casserole crock made by the Crock-Pot brand.* I have loved this casserole shaped crockpot for recipes just like this. I love that the crock insert is completely oven and dishwasher safe. I love how if you want to brown the top of a casserole you can do that quickly in the oven after it cooks all day in the slow cooker. Or if you want to bake something in the oven and then put it into the crockpot and keep it warm on the counter, you can do that too. They cost around $40 and I think totally worth the investment!
Creamy mild curry-flavored rice with chunks of tender chicken, florets of broccoli and lots of cheddar. A family favorite casserole recipe perfect for any weeknight.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cups long grain brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a microwave safe dish, stir together the onion, butter, garlic, rice and 1/2 cup broth.
- Microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds.
- Transfer to a greased slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups of broth and the garlic powder, salt and curry powder. Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours. (mine took exactly 3 hours…yours may take more or less depending on your slow cooker)
- Pour broccoli into a colander and run hot water over it until it is heated through. Shake off excess water. Stir in the broccoli. Stir and break up chicken with a spoon. Stir in the sour cream and cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately (this tastes best served right away, it doesn’t hold up very well on the warm setting).
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 597
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 859 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Protein: 53 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Broccoli Casserole? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.