Slow Cooker Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage–an easy and healthy meal of seasoned brown rice with carrots, peas and chicken sausage.
Get the INSTANT POT brown rice pilaf with chicken sausage recipe
Slow Cooker Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage
I’ve always been a fan of rice pilaf but don’t really use white rice in my cooking much. I decided to see how rice pilaf would taste with brown rice instead of white. I thought it turned out really nicely! The ground turmeric gave the rice a nice yellow color and you really couldn’t even tell that it was brown rice.
I stirred in frozen vegetables at the end and they gave the rice some color and interest. If you’re not a fan of peas and carrots you can leave them out. Or you could stir in broccoli, asparagus or some other vegetables that you prefer.
I used chicken sausage links that I bought at Smith’s (Kroger). They were the Simple Truth brand and it was spinach gruyere chicken sausage. YUM! I’ve heard from many people that the chicken sausage at Costco is amazing as well. What do you use and love?
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage I used my small 3 quart slow cooker.* I love this little slow cooker because it’s super cute and it’s just the perfect size for side dishes, drinks or small meals. It fits into my sink so I can easily hand wash it and it fits in the bottom or top of my dishwasher so I can easily stick it in there to get clean. I try to use this 3 quart slow cooker any time I can!
An easy and healthy meal of seasoned brown rice with carrots, peas and chicken sausage.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup brown rice (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (12 oz) package chicken sausage links (see note)
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots (optional)
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Add in the butter and let it melt. Stir in the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and stir for another minute. Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth to the hot pan and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil pour it into the slow cooker.
- Add in the salt, turmeric, garlic powder. Lay the sausage links on top of the rice.
- Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, or until rice is tender.
- Remove the lid and use tongs to place chicken sausage on a cutting board. Stir the frozen veggies into the slow cooker. Replace the lid and let the heat of the pot cook of the veggies for about 5 minutes. Slice up the sausage into quarter inch pieces and stir them into the rice.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
I bought the spinach gruyere chicken sausage at Smith’s (Kroger) and I thought it was so tasty. There are lots of other brands and flavors that you can find at other stores too.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 954 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 22 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.