Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice–creamy risotto-like rice with cheddar, broccoli and (optional) pieces of chicken breast. A one pot family-friendly meal perfect for a busy weeknight.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice
If you’re a fan of broccoli rice casserole you’re going to love this dish! The creamy, risotto-like rice is a dream and the combination of broccoli and cheddar is a winner. I added in chicken to make it more of a meal and the chicken breast turned out tender and moist thanks to the chicken broth and the moist environment.
A few notes about ingredients:
Arborio Rice: please buy this type of rice to make this dish. The reason we don’t have to use cream of soups or heavy cream to make it creamy is because of this type of rice. I found mine in the bulk section of Winco for about $2.00 a pound.
Chicken: you can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the place of breasts, if you prefer. You could even use chicken drumsticks.
Chicken broth: I use Better than Bouillon Chicken Base* in the place of chicken broth. I use 1 tsp of the base per cup of water. I love it!
Cheddar: I buy mild cheddar in a block and grate it at home. I prefer this to the pre-grated cheddar because it melts more naturally and tastes better.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Creamy risotto-like rice with cheddar, broccoli and (optional) pieces of chicken breast. A one pot family-friendly meal perfect for a busy weeknight.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (optional)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 6 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl the pot around to melt the butter. Once butter is melted add in the onion. Saute the onion for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and rice and stir for 1 minute. Add in 1 cup of the broth and stir for 2 minutes. Add in the remaining broth, the salt and then lay the chicken on top (if using).
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes (high pressure). Once time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- If using frozen broccoli florets, put them in a colander and run hot water over them for a couple minutes. Shake off the excess water and stir them into the rice. If using fresh broccoli florets you can do one of two things. First and faster idea is to put the florets in a glass bowl with a quarter cup of water and put them in the microwave for 4-5 minutes, until the broccoli is steamed and reaches your desired cooked consistency. Second idea is you add the fresh broccoli to the pot after the pressure has released and then put the lid back on and let the broccoli cook for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste. Scoop onto serving plates and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe with chicken
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 711 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 38 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.