When it’s wine-drinking time — a.k.a. wine o’ clock, a.k.a. adult juice hour, a.k.a. sippy sippy fun day — knowing how to drink your wine is almost as important as the wine itself. OK, it’s a super-distant second, but still, having your wine knowledge on point is critical. So to help you become an amateur connoisseur in about five minutes flat, here are 16 essential wine tips that’ll make you look like you know what you’re talking about, and hopefully help you enjoy vino on a whole new level.
1. First up, here’s a breakdown of how to taste your wine like a pro (and look bougie AF).
— MissouriWines (@MissouriWines) April 14, 2015
2. Here are all the different types of wine glasses, and which wines they’re made for. (If you’re on mobile, pinch and zoom for the text!)
— Montana Liquor (@MontanaLiquor) March 20, 2017
3. A look at the ideal temperatures to store and serve your wine.
Best Temperatures to Store #Wine
Useful Cheat Sheet #Infographic
And Your Complete Guide to Wine Serving and Storage Temperatures in an Article here👉 https://t.co/QJ3T7LBtpO via Julien Miquel pic.twitter.com/D027Zwvn0O
— Carpe Vinum (@Carpevinumblog) March 6, 2018
4. And here’s how long different types of wine will last after they’ve been opened.
— Wine Glass Writer (@WineGlassWriter) September 15, 2017
5. A closer look at how you should store your wine, which is important for preserving taste.
— La Mancha Wines (@LaMancha_Wines) February 28, 2018
6. And how oxidized your wines should be.
— Wine Glass Writer (@WineGlassWriter) June 4, 2017
7. A graph of the general flavors you’ll get from various wine varietals.
— Infogrades (@Infogrades) January 21, 2017
8. You also definitely have to know which wines pair best with which types of pizza.
— Winebubble (@thewinebubble) June 15, 2017
9. And which wines pair best with different types of seafood.
— Wine Glass Writer (@WineGlassWriter) February 7, 2017
10. And which wines pair best with different types of cheese.
— Ken @ alawine 🍷 (@alawine) February 11, 2018
11. And which wines pair best with different types of nuts.
Happy #NationalDrinkWineDay! This fab infographic from @cawineclub shows the best wine and nut pairings. My personal favourite is a glass of chilled Prosecco with some @KinomiNuts Waku Waku organic cashews, topped with arctic seaweed and sumac. What’s your favourite pairing? pic.twitter.com/1VM4aCvZiw
— Kinomi Nuts (@KinomiNuts) February 18, 2018
12. And, most crucially, which wines pair best with different types of girl scout cookies.
— NastyWomenofNPS (@NastyWomenofNPS) February 9, 2018
13. This is how many wine bottles you’ll need if you’re having a party.
— Oberon (@OberonWines) September 3, 2016
14. And some of the subtler differences between red and white wine.
— Alken Brothers Wine (@AlkenWine) March 26, 2018
15. The full range of wine bottle types, along with their names (both secular and biblical…).
— VinePair (@VinePair) October 27, 2015
16. And finally, you’ll also probably want to know at least a little bit of wine chemistry.
— Metabolomics (@metabolomics) February 19, 2018
Do you feel like a wine connoisseur after checking out these wine tips? Could you give us a full flavor breakdown of the wine cocktails below now? Let us know, you burgeoning vino aficionados!
Images: Wine Folly via Stefan Leijon